This was my Christmas tool gift for myself. It’s a cheap 4” engineer’s square of mine that I gave to Catharine Kennedy to engrave for me.
After seeing many examples of Catharine’s work, I knew that I wanted to have her work her magic on one of my tools. And magic is the operative word — photos really don’t do her work justice, not even photos that are much better lit and taken than mine.
The problem was, Japanese planes or saws don’t really lend themselves to this style of engraving. On the other hand, this square, which I use all the time, does. This was the only tool I took to Woodworking in America this year, and the first thing I did when the conference opened was to go to Catharine’s booth, where I gave the square to her, and said, “I would love for you to engrave this for me. Just go to town on it.” I didn’t know exactly what she was going to do, but I knew I would be completely happy with the result.
And before anyone asks, yes, this square does let me mark lines better after the engraving. I am sure of that.
34 Notes/ Hide
- ones-when reblogged this from giantcypress
- soniconsultants-us-8 reblogged this from giantcypress
- garage-door-repair-houston-057 reblogged this from giantcypress
- photo-restoration-art reblogged this from giantcypress
- vangieah likes this
- aniblack likes this
- sweetoro likes this
- thesifsterhood likes this
- sleeplessjack reblogged this from giantcypress
- sleeplessjack likes this
- craniumsandcrayons likes this
- antschoolinspiration likes this
- endgrain likes this
- veryimportantresearch likes this
- therhumboogie likes this
- devinck reblogged this from giantcypress
- noelanthony reblogged this from giantcypress
- noelanthony likes this
- poapoa likes this
- whitewhaler likes this
- padfootmooneyprongs likes this
- This was featured in #DIY
- lanthorn likes this
- luthiermark likes this
- churchofmeat likes this
- tokidokicreative reblogged this from giantcypress
- em likes this
- giantcypress posted this